- Arbitration, mediation and negotiation
- Construction and engineering
- Oil, gas and energy projects
- England and Wales (1971)
- Hong Kong (1983)
- Member of Arbitration Chambers (2016 – present)
- Partner of Pinsent Masons LLP (1972-2014)
- Head of Construction & Engineering Department
- Managing Partner
- Chairman of the Board
- Senior Partner
- Executive Board Member
- Senior Partner (Asia Pacific)
- Head of Beijing Office
John has a lifetime experience of arbitration acting as Arbitrator, Advocate (Counsel) and Solicitor in several hundred arbitrations under various domestic and international arbitration rules including ICC, LCIA, Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, CIETAC, HKIAC, SIAC, AFSA, ADCCAC and UNCITRAL. He has also acted as a Mediator and Dispute Board Member on many occasions. John lived in China for 14 years.
John has sat as chair, sole arbitrator, co-arbitrator and appeal arbitrator in many arbitrations, under the rules of many of the major international arbitration centres, including the ICC, SIAC, AFSA, CIETAC and DIFC-LCIA as well as under UNCITRAL rules. John has also acted on numerous occasions as Mediator, Adjudicator and Dispute Board Member. These matters include major projects disputes across Europe, Africa, the Middle East, China, Asia and Australia.
John regularly gives lectures and seminars and has lectured at Universities such as Tsinghua University, Peking University, Renmin University, National ChengChi University, Taipei and the University of Western Sydney, Kings’ College London. Other Bodies for whom John has lectured include Lighthouse Clubs, Hong Kong and Malaysia; Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Hong Kong, Birmingham and East Anglia, Society of Construction Law, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia; HKIAC; CIETAC; BAC; IBEC; WTO.
Appointments currently held include:
- Panel member of CIETAC
- Panel Member of BAC
- Founding Fellow of the International Academy of Construction Lawyers (an association of 50 of the world’s leading construction lawyers);
- Honorary Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Building,
- Chartered Construction Manager
- Honorary Grade A Accredited Professional of IBEC
- Honorary Fellow of the Faculty of Building
- Member of the Society of Construction Arbitrators
- Member of the Hong Kong ICC Committee
- Member of the Dispute Resolution Board Foundation
- Founding panel member of the Singapore International Mediation Centre
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Construction Law Journal.
Past appointments include Chairman and later President of the Technology and Construction Solicitors Association, Vice Chairman of the Academy of Experts, Dean of the Faculty of Mediation & ADR, Board member of the Civil Mediation Council, member of the Severn Committee on the development of ADR, member of the CBI committee to promote London as a centre for dispute resolution, Chairman of the LCIA consultative committee, member of the TCC subcommittee for the promotion of ADR.
John was awarded the Clare Edwards Award for lifetime contribution to construction law and was selected by Legal Business as the Experts’ Expert for Construction and Engineering. He is listed as a leading individual or top level lawyer in all the relevant recognized legal directories including for Arbitration (Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal, Legal’s Finest, Euromoney Investor plc), Projects and Energy (Legal 500), Construction and Infrastructure (Legal 500, Chambers, Who’s Who Legal, Euromoney), Mediation (Who’s Who Legal) and Public Procurement (Legal 500), “one of the top 30 construction lawyers in the world” (Expert Guides, Legal Media Group), Best of the Best 2106 (Euromoney), Who’s Who Legal; Thought Leaders 2017 - Construction.